I think it’s important we talk about the impact YouTubers have on gentrification, hopefully this conversation facilitated that.
1. Sorry the audio is off from the video. I don’t know what happened, I tried to fix it but I couldn’t. :/
2. I understand that Ryan & Haley have not actually started engaging in becoming the new Joanna and Chip. However, from the two videos they posted on their family channel it seems to me this is eventually what they want to do. So, this video is just here to talk about gentrification and the ways it can harm, and potentially ways in which Ryan & Haley can think about mitigating the harm caused via gentrification.
3. Here are more resources that explore gentrification:
– Citations Needed Podcast:
– https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/episode-116-pro-gentrification-aspirationalism-hgtvs/id1258545975?i=1000486505043 (Episode 116: The Pro-Gentrification Aspirationalism of HGTV’s House-Flipping Shows)
– https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/news-brief-detailing-connection-between-gentrification/id1258545975?i=1000487797569 (News Brief: Detailing the Connection Between Gentrification and Racist Police Harassment)
– https://theoutline.com/post/1655/hgtv-displacement-gentrification?zd=1&zi=vgperm3g (HGTV’s hidden dark side)
A link to readings related to BLM, socialism, and so much more: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0Bz011IF2Pu9TUWIxVWxybGJ1Ync