Westgate Attackers Might Have Rented A Shop In The Mall For Months
Zhang Chen/Xinhua via Zuma Press / MCT
2. While preparing for the rampage at the Westgate Mall, assailants from al-Shabab allegedly rented a shop in the mall for three months, where they stored weapons and plotted their atttack, an interior ministry spokesman said.
4. But Interior Secretary Joseph Ole Lenku said the rumor was still unconfirmed. “As to whether they had a shop in the mall is something we cannot say categorically,” Lenku said.
6. A U.S. official still said it’s unclear whether Americans were involved in the attack, as investigators begin the long process of sifting through the rubble to look for clues.
Stringer / Reuters
A cemetery worker walks near the fresh graves of Selima Merali, 41, and her daughter Nuriana Merali, 15, who were killed in the attack.
9. Three floors of the mall collapsed during the siege, but officials said they do not believe there are many bodies left in the debris. And while the country undergoes three days of mourning, stories emerge of some who were luckier than others.
11. Four-year-old Elliot Prior (above) is said to have saved his family after telling one jihadist, “You’re a bad man, let us leave,” his uncle told a U.K. paper.
13. One gunman allegedly gave the children Mars bars and pleaded with Elliot’s injured mother, Amber, saying, “Please forgive me, we are not monsters.” Amber was then able to escape with two more children, including a wounded boy whose mother was killed.
Read more: http://buzzfeed.com/rachelzarrell/westgate-mall-attackers-might-have-rented-a-store-in-the-mal